July 2021 Issue
Dear UGW Members,
Last month, the New Mexico Public Employee Labor Relations Board’s hearing officer recommended a ruling that excludes us from the Public Employee Bargaining Act. While we will have a chance to appeal this recommendation before the PELRB in the fall, we have not been waiting idly.
Over the past few weeks, we have continued to expand our organizing base across campus and beyond. We are recruiting departmental stewards and fine-tuning our structure and bylaws in preparation for chartering a local UE chapter in the fall. We are reaching out to grad workers at other institutions who have underwent their own struggles for recognition. We are working harder than ever before because, if 2020 and 2021 have taught us anything, we cannot go another year without collective bargaining rights. Rent is going up, many of us will have to go back to work in person without any voice in safety protocols, and UNM admin are repeatedly demonstrating that they have no intention to work with us unless they are forced to. We United Grad Workers are not going anywhere – we have the collective power to hold UNM accountable.
United Graduate Workers of UNM
Calendar of Events:
- See UGW organizer Alana Bock’s op ed recently published in the Santa Fe New Mexican.
- Staff workers at UNM Hospital received a raise through their union negotiations.
- UA-UNM’s first contract with University admin begins July 1.
- UNM Committee of Interns and Residents have begun their contract negotiations.
- 250 workers at the Refresco bottling plant in Wharton, NJ voted to unionize with United Electrical, Radio, and Machine workers in order to challenge unfair policies and improve their wages and benefits.
- Throughout June, we joined with La Raza Unida, the Renters Coalition of Albuquerque, and Union members from UMass Lowell for the Organizing for Power training with Jane McAlevey.
- The UGW Solidarity Committee continues to collaborate with UNM undergrads through the Student Solidarity Coalition.
- The CSEU Annual Congress 2021: Academia, Justice and the Workplace will be held virtually on August 12-15.
Action Item Check-List:
- Mark your calendars for our Stewards Meeting (7/8) and Membership Town Hall (7/22)
- Sign a union card if you have not already done so!
- Contact Membership to get involved as a department steward. Contact Jens Van Gysel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join a subcommittee!